Saturday, March 29, 2008


So here's a picture of the place where I lived from Aug '86- May '87. It was my window on Paris. I did not have the fortune of living in the WHOLE turret, only about a 1/3 of it.

But my view was probably one of the best in town: the Legion d'Honeur, Musee d'Orsay (which opened while I was there), le Louvre, les Jarden des Tuilleries, l'Opera (the old one), and Mont Martres with Sacre Coeur!

Madame le Contess de Clermont-Tonnere lived two floors down from me. My room was one of her chambres des bonnes.

So, yes, I will drag Lisa and Julia there to stare up at my window. And when we take the boat down the Seine, I will look for a light in MY little window!

I imagine, with prices so high, and the need for flats so high, that that little room is now part of a studio or larger flat. I doubt many have the luxury of keeping their little chambres des bonnes for their bonnes anymore.

No comments: