Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Things you might like to know...

When grocery shopping in Paris, there are some things you might want to know. Although we all have images of shopping at the outside markets, there will be times when you need to run to the Monoprix for some things:

For instance -
  • Bring a cloth bag. The last time I was there (April 2008), I was surprised (pleasantly so) that there were no longer plastic bags at the check out.
  • Be ready to bag! You may be used to a bagger at your local grocery store, but if you stand by the cashier, lost in thoughts, you'll have to play catch-up as soon as you pay. Your stuff is waiting to be bagged by you. And now, here comes la veille-Madame-behind you's stuff too - yikes!
  • Get ready for a dairy isle like you've never seen one. They have dairy products of every thinkable and unthinkable description. And I haven't even gotten to the cheese. Although I have a dairy allergy, I can't resist the dairy products in France. I don't think they worry about sat fat there. I don't blame them.
  • The Monoprix (and other chains) are less expensive in the suburbs and outer parts of Paris than in the chic center.

No comments: